Chocolate Cake for Breakfast

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

You stay classy, Tyler, Texas

[Pulls out rag and lemon-fresh Pledge to dust away the cobwebs]

Many apologies for the absence. I've put you all through much worse though, but I'll do my best to get back on the blogging wagon.

I think I've blogged before about the strange things that always seem to happen in my hometown -- things that typically land it on some national newscast from time to time. This time, it will be featured on a reality TV show. I'll just let this YouTube clip of a Good Morning America story set the stage:



Lauren Jones finished up her monthlong stint on Tyler's CBS affiliate a few days ago. I don't know what kind of portrayal Tyler will get or even how much it will be portrayed at all when the show begins airing Aug. 21. But it doesn't take much imagination to guess what kind of image will be portrayed of any small city in the heart of East Texas. When the show boasts no cast other than the good people of Tyler, you know we're all in for a treat. Will it be trashy? Coming from FOX, there isn't any doubt. Will it make a mockery of broadcast journalism? Maybe, but having seen some of the newscasts of certain stations in Tyler, they could do no worse. Oh, and did I mention that I absolutely cannot wait.

I'm sure coming to Tyler was a bit of a shock for Miss Jones. Not only I'm sure did she experience culture shock, but apparently there probably with a bit of media shock as well. She was ripped from the covers of such magazines as, well, the types of magazines you get on when you're a "WWE diva" and swimsuit model, and thrust onto the likes of Tyler Today. I didn't even know such a magazine existed by that name. I don't know how she feels about this; maybe she's proud. She is, in all likelihood, the first swimsuit model ever to grace its cover. And I guess she has that right to be proud; this is, after all, Tyler's oldest city magazine from all the way back in the dark ages of 1989.

Suffice to say, Aug. 21 cannot come fast enough. You can bet you'll read more about this on here in the coming weeks.

And as Lauren Jones' forerunner as anchorwoman, Ms. Veronica Corningstone, would say, "Thanks for stopping by."

2 Comments:

  • You can get Tyler Today in the check-out line at Brookshires, before someone assaults you to wrestle your shopping bags away and carry them to the car for you.

    By Blogger docsmith, at 12:34 PM, July 10, 2007  

  • Why?!?!?! I don't know how I feel about this yet...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:11 PM, July 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home