Chocolate Cake for Breakfast

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Mystery begins to unravel

Gloria Perez.

This is the woman who apparently used to own my new phone number. I've received several more phone calls for this woman from various agencies since I last posted, all of which have helped to unravel the mystery that is Gloria Perez.

I last posted about receiving phone calls from what sounded like a law office. After receiving another one this morning and almost every week day for the past week, I decided I had the call the number back to get them to stop. I discovered the number belongs to Encore Receivable Management, which is a credit and debt service. Translation: They are creditors who handle debt collection for various companies. According to their Web site, they specialize in the markets of communiation services (wireline, wireless and cable), financial services (banks, credit cards and whatnot) and retail companies. I'm not sure who Ms. Perez owed money to. My guess is either a bank or credit card company or a cell phone company, which is why I now have her phone number.

So, although the debt collector service was very telling about my mystery person's past, I was a little disappointed that I wasn't receiving phone calls from law offices. That is, until I actually received a phone call from a law office. The law firm of Linebarger Goggins Blair & Sampson called the other day and wished to speak to Ms. Perez. A quick Googling of this law firm didn't reveal much. Only that they appear to be based in Dallas, as their firm name appeared in the Nov. 9, 2005, minutes of a Dallas City Council meeting. Not too helpful, but at least the stakes for Ms. Perez have been kicked up a notch to legal action.

I have a feeling this will be an ongoing saga as I continue to receive phone calls from various businesses, law firms and debt collection services for Gloria Perez. As annoying as the calls are (especially when they're only recorded messages), I'll admit it's been a rather fun mystery thus far.

4 Comments:

  • Mr. Smith,

    I do not, I have not, and I never will represent Gloria Perez in any capacity.

    Kindest Personal Regards,

    J. Thomas Scott, Esquire.

    By Blogger Justin, at 3:58 PM, October 31, 2006  

  • I wonder who has my old phone number....
    I now own Nazda and Colleen's old phone. They greet me every time I check my voicemail ... too bad you can't hear Gloria's voice - it might unravel the mystery a bit more.

    By Blogger Jaci, at 11:43 PM, November 01, 2006  

  • Wow, that's exciting. If you get sick of this, you can always call your service provider and they can fix it. I don't know how, but I love to delegate work to other people.

    By Blogger Becca Vennie, at 1:42 PM, November 03, 2006  

  • I don't usually read your blog, but I'm glad I did today because I can provide a little insight:

    Jim Blair, one of the partners of LGB&S lives in The Woodlands, my regional beat. This summer the firm was awarded a contract with the government to handle tax collection for the IRS. It was a contract worth hundreds of millions, as they are handling it for the entire country. They are actually a really large firm with offices throughout the Southwest. Anyway, that is why you got a call from them. She must not have paid her taxes for several years.

    I hear the line, "Do I sound like my name is Gloria Perez?" works well. Have you tried that?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:12 AM, November 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home