Chocolate Cake for Breakfast

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Don't underestimate the Force

(Yes, I've been going through the Star Wars films ...)

A quick post before beginning my work week. I'd first like to report that I am feeling moderately well. Definitely sore, but I think I've been sorer at other points in my life. I'd also like to point out that I've probably never been cleaner in my life. I've maintained my regular daily shower the past two days, but nothing feels quite as good to the sore muscles than a nice soak in a bath, which I've done the past two days as well. I'm sure this will make me reach my 3-bath-a-year average much more quickly this year, though. You see, ever since I discovered the shower (late elementary school, perhaps?) I haven't been one to utilize an actual bath very often. Save two circumstances. When I'm sick or when I'm very sore. And usually some combination of these adds up to 3 baths or so each year. I think I'll allow myself more without much remorse this year.

As my good friend Justin Scott, future J.D., has discussed in the past, running can develop into a sort of addiction for the people who are really into it. I'm certainly far off from developing any kind of addiction to running, but I think I can understand now how it happens. You run one distance and you think, "You know, I could probably add a little more to that," or "I could probably do that a little faster." Then pretty soon, you're looking for new distances or times to challenge you, and it becomes a vicious cycle. And since I ran approximately a 7K yesterday, my thoughts have been how close that seems to a 10K and how I could probably achieve that if I actually disciplined my training a little better. So that's my next goal. I don't know if I'll participate in something as structured as an actual race again, but that's the distance I'm shooting for next. Once I hit that, we'll see where it leads from there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home