Chocolate Cake for Breakfast

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Fact: You have a better chance of being hit by a meteorite than eaten by a wolf

First of all, I would like to thank Mr. Dwight Schrute for the titles of my posts in this uncharacteristic string of posts. I owe this sudden dedication to blogging all to you, Rainn Wilson.

Unfortunately, I have very little of my own thoughts on this fine evening. I'm still in the midst of training week at work and it has consumed most all of my days and evenings and will for at least one more day. So, as my brain is fried with all sorts of computer and software terminology, I'll have to bring someone else's story to you today. I hope you enjoy. I present to you the story of Hector the Chihuahua.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Chihuahua held

for $50 ransom
Dog is wired to look like bomb, tossed into bar


Toledo Blade
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 05.02.2007

TOLEDO, Ohio — Hector went on the ride of his life early Monday.

And it's not one the dog or his owner wants to remember.

The long-haired Chihuahua was dognapped and held for $50 ransom. Then he was bound with duct tape, a broken electrical device and wires to look like a bomb. And he was thrown through the open front door of his owner's bar in Toledo.

"It was hard (that) my dog showed up like that. (Hector) was shakin' and carryin' on, definitely disturbed," said Jerry Dalton, 77, owner of Jerry's Pub. "It was strictly indescribable. My dog, I love him."

Shortly after bar patrons panicked — for they initially thought Hector was a bomb — a woman accused in the crime was handcuffed and booked into the Lucas County jail.

Latonia Hill, 35, was charged with inducing panic, cruelty to animals and menacing. She was being held in jail in lieu of a $3,000 bond on the misdemeanors after arraignment in Toledo Municipal Court.

Police responded to the bar on a bomb threat. There, they were told Hill, the ex-girlfriend of Dalton's son, dognapped the pooch.

She tried to extort money from Dalton for Hector's safe return, and said she would blow up his bar and kill the dog, police said.

Hill is accused of using orange tape to attach the electrical device and wires to Dalton's furry friend, going to the bar, and tossing Hector inside.

Police arrested her at her home at short time later.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I just don't know that I can top that tonight. So I won't try. Feel free to discuss. I know we've got some animal lovers out there. So many possibilities: The fact she wanted only a $50 ransom.The fact that you can be charged with something called "menacing." The mental image of this woman doing a drive-by, but instead of pulling out a gun, she whips out a Chihuahua and hurls it through a door (I'm picturing an old time saloon with those swinging wooden doors). Here's to you, Hector. Glad your safe and sound Hector, and I'm even happier we got to share in your story.

2 Comments:

  • First off, where did you find this story? Next, this poor dog! I'm concerned for his poor little neck. And how did they get the duct tape off of him without ripping out his fur? Poor dog. He deserves a puppy cookie. Or a beer. After such an event, neither could be denied from him. Finally, this woman ought to have her hands chopped off. Or some kind of restraining order put on her. You know, like the sexual predators do: This woman may not live or come with in 500 feet of a dog. Just to be safe. I mean, clearly this lady isn't right in the head. Anyone who can even think like this deserves some kind of punishment beyond $3000.

    By the way, how did she decide the dog's randsom was only $50. I mean, sure, a chihuahua is a little dog but that sum of money isn't very much at all. Beyond that, how come the lady didn't hold out for her money? Maybe Hector kept peeing on the floor or howling. She just couldn't take it.... either way, she needs to loose her hands.

    By Blogger Becca Vennie, at 9:45 AM, May 03, 2007  

  • We ran this in our paper. :)

    By Blogger Lori, at 2:21 PM, May 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home