Chocolate Cake for Breakfast

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

How would I describe myself? Three words: Hard working ... alpha male ... jackhammer ... merciless ... insatiable

What a night. I'm happy to announce that everyone left the newsroom alive tonight because, apparently, this isn't always a guarantee. During training last week, we asked the people from the software company what was the worst experience they had seen for a paper making the switch to new software. Without hesitation, one of them breaks into a story of one employee at some paper dying of a heart attack during the first week. You might say that's just an unfortunate coincidence, and that's what we said, but after going throught the first day of the switch, you begin to think that a connection could be possible. All things considered, I think it went pretty well, and, as I've said recently, there's always something very satisfying about finishing an exhausting day on the job.

I promise I'll get to other topics besides newspaper software one of these days. It's just all I've been living and breathing the past two weeks. I realize that two-thirds of my readership (somewhere in the neighborhood of four people) do not care how an article travels between computer programs from the metro editors to the designers to the copy editors back to the designers back to the copy editors back to the designers and then to the presses (althought it's probably a lot more complicated than you think). When my life isn't consumed by this, you'll get something else. It could be worse -- I could go months without posting again (at least I hope that's worse).

I don't really have much else to say tonight. But I've blogged every day for a week, so if I want to make it a habit, I've got 13 more days to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home