Chocolate Cake for Breakfast

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

There's nothing on my horizon except everything

Today, my company put out its procedures for what we do in case of a hurricane seeing as hurricane season officially begins in less than a month. Now, for many of you, the answer to this dilemma is simple: Get the heck out of town. But it's not so simple for a newspaper man. In case you haven't noticed, a lot of newspapers' best work happens during crises ... and a hurricane certainly qualifies as a crisis. Even the New Orleans Times-Picayune continued to publish after Katrina, albeit in an off-site location. Here though, we've got the option of being part of the all-volunteer staff in the case of a direct hit by a storm. I must say, it's quite tempting. However, the odds of this coming in to play should not be that strong. This town, for whatever reason, doesn't get hit by hurricanes that often. I say the odds of those shouldn't be strong because this town has never gone through an entire hurricane season with me living in its city limits. Some of you might call that a little ego-centric (narcissistic, even) -- whatever. I long ago have determined that I am a news blackhole -- wherever I go, major or bizarre news events seem to get sucked in, too. If you don't believe me, test me, but I think this is now well document history (or at least a pretty strong theory). And I think it's been more than a year since I found myself in the midst of some major news event, so the time is definitely ripe. So, forget what the climatologists tell you -- I'm getting ready for a hurricane. Now I just need to decide where I'd rather be when it hits: stuck in traffic on I-37 on the way to San Antonio or in a building (whicn I'm sure is built like a bunker) a couple hundred yards from the ocean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home